Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 5 in Germany November 19

A message from Jeannette: Last night, I learned the meaning of the word courage. We met three patients. The first one is Diana who was diagnosed with a rare kind of cancer and she had over 50 tumors in her lungs. She had done at least a dozen chemo procedures with Prof. Doctor Vogl in Frankfurt. She also was on the latest antibody therapy that made her very sick. She reacted like I had with shivers, 105 fever, bone pain and nausea, yet she smiled and her tumors were almost gone. She is going home to Los Angeles. The second patient just arrived from Greece. He had lung tumors and went the route of traditional treatment. In Greece, the doctors took out part of his lung, gave him the most aggressive chemo, but unfortunately he is not responding. Rather than give up, his son found Dr. Jacob on the internet and she is rebuilding his system and helping him with alternative medicines. His whole family came with him with smiles and love, surrounding him with hope and affection. The third patient I met came from Australia. He was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and has been in this clinic since August. His cancer has shrunk. The doctors had to take out 1.8 liter of fluid from his abdominal area on two separate occasions.

All these patients are fighting and cherish life; they all had fever numerous times and cherish each minutes with no complaints. I will learn from them. Cherish each minute. I have so much to fight for with Alan by my side and with all your good wishes. One of the nurses brought in his newborn baby; she was so adorable. It reminded me of when my first born Stanley was born: the joy and joie de vivre upon looking at the angelic face. My lovely children are also with me in my heart. My second son Dave reminded me that it was always darkest before dawn, like when going on the sugar free diet , the body reacts like it is in misery - same here when it is getting rid of toxins. I told this parable to another patient and she was elated. Alan’s Dave wrote about his poker experience and it made me laugh so I asked Dr. Jacob if we can have a poker tournament here too and she laughed. I miss you all. I am waiting for next time the fever and pain to come back knowing that this will mean I am getting rid of dead cancer cells in my body. Alan says that his father had a proverb on the wall in his office which said “I used to complain that I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet.

Dr Jacob says the fluid has come back to my lung so tomorrow I will be punctured again to remove the fluid. She also said that the tumors in the pleura are quite thick and numerous but we will wait for the chemo sensitivity test which is expected to come back on Monday or Tuesday before I start a chemo regimen. I told Alan I must get well because we have a purpose:

1) to tell the world about this treatment here

2) To fight for chemo sensitivity testing in the US. It is barbaric to give chemo to a patient without knowing he/she will respond to it… It is almost inhuman.. and one cannot in full conscience watch it without saying something..

So with all your support, I will be back stronger and better and I vow to help and tell anyone about this story.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to read your writing. We all know you can do it - to fulfill your mission and purpose, and to play poker too. After you come back, I'll learn to play Texas Hold-em from you. Keep up the good spirit. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannette
    So good to hear your voice coming through loud and clear!
    A poker tournament..now that's the spirit! However, I can't imagine you keeping up a poker face for too long before your smile comes shining through!
    xo julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannette, teach them "Big two-chao dai di"!!! Health care reform still has not passed in the U.S. yet, to add on now chemo sensitive treatment may be a little difficult (you know our political system can only absorb so much-a novel, creative, life-saving approach-(what a concept!)-may not be on their radar screen), but when you come back, we'll strategize on whose ears will be receptive to your important message. Keep fighting Jeannette, you are breathing life into all of us. Lots and Lots of Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jeannette,

    It is wonderful to hear from you! I am so happy that you have other amazing people there lifting you up with their inspirational stories and courage.

    "We are all angels with one wing, we need the others in order to fly."

    Let the other angels who you are meeting lift you up & help you fly. Also know that there are MANY others all over the world praying for you & sending you positive energy.

    YOU are an inspiration to all of us!

    PS You can borrow one of my wings as long as you need it!

    With love from your "one winged" angel friend
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Mom,

    We are all thinking positive thoughts for you. Dave, Christine, and I are taking care of each other. Please keep fighting for us, but mostly for yourself; you have so much more love and life to live for. We'll all be waiting here for your healthy return!

    Love always,

    Stan, David, Christine

    ReplyDelete